The Girl

My photo
早期的90后。马来西亚华人。恋家。爱跳舞。爱煲剧。永远都在喊减肥却无法抗拒美食的吃货。喜欢精致的笔记本但似乎怎么也用不完。与部落格的关系暧昧且复杂,分合多年却始终离不开它。

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Holidays with Morrie

Two more days to the end of year 2009. Wow.
And i'm not prepared for year 2010. Well, not really prepared.

Come to think of it. I'm turning 19 next year? NINETEEN? Gawd, that sounds old. (didn't mean to offend anyone older than me.. lol.. old among teenagers alright) Besides, my 18th birthday had just passed a month, and i'm going to be 19 years old in a few more days? Sigh. Oh well.


* * *


Holidays have been nice although the things i've been doing don't seem very interesting.. haha.

Currently reading this book of Mitch Albom called "Tuesdays with Morrie". It talks about "an old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson" ( as you can see from the book cover =P). It's indeed a very inspiring book. Quite a thin book - not thick at all - but i'm reading it very slowly, trying to digest every meaningful line as deeply as i can.


This a part of the book that i like very much:

One afternoon, I am complaining about the confusion of my age, what is expected of me versus what I want for myself.
"Have I told you about the tension of opposites?" he says.
Tension of opposites?
"Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do something else. Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldn't. You take certain things for granted, even when you know you should never take anything for granted.
"A tension of opposites, like a pull on a rubber band. And most of us live somewhere in the middle."
Sounds like a wrestling match, I say.
"A wrestling match." He laughs. "Yes, you could describe life that way."
So which side wins, I ask?
"Which side wins?"
He smiles at me, the crinkled eyes, the crooked teeth.
"Love wins. Love always wins."


And these:

"Everyone knows they are going to die, but nobody believes it."

"Once you know how to die, you know how to live."


You see. How can a holiday be boring with such a meaningful book? It makes me think of how i have been doing all these times, how to live life to the fullest, what are my dreams and what i can do in order to pursue them, what's the correct attitude towards life and so on.

I feel enriched, yet i'm still looking for the answers.

1 comment:

Sonia said...

Good for you! Lemme know once you're done with the book k.